Wednesday, 5 February 2014

Trust...

Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life. 
Proverbs 31:11 NLT

Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. 
Proverbs 31:11 NIV

Her husband trusts her without reserve, and never has reason to regret it.  
Proverbs 31:11 MSG

I love to look at different versions when I read a verse - especially when it's one I've read over and over before. Sometimes I think I know a verse so well that it actually loses all meaning for me - and I have to re-read it with the eyes of a new believer in order to get the awe back. Why is it our minds can read something one time too many and suddenly lose the wonder of it? A question for another day...

But it's for this reason I like to mix it up a little and see what the versions I don't usually read say. In this case I love that we are given so many different words to describe how faithful this woman is. We are told she can be trusted, have confidence put in her, and that she enriches other peoples lives, giving them no reason to regret their faith in her. 

WOW! What a woman! It's so lovely to read this and imagine someone saying this about you... until you read it and try to think if anyone COULD say it about you. Oh dear - this is a hard one. The questions we need to ask ourselves in the light of this verse are these -

• Can I be trusted?
• Can the people around me trust me to do what I say I am going to do?
• Can I be trusted with secrets, or confidences that have been told to me?
• Can the people around me every day know that I am someone they can put their faith in and trust that I won't let them down?

I'm sure there are plenty of times that you can think of where someone in your life has betrayed a confidence, told a secret, not been there for you when you needed them, let you down, or done something you asked them not to. People are human, and unfortunately our sinful human nature causes us to do things that are hurtful and not nice.

I know I have plenty of examples, both of things done to me, but also of things I have done. Just this week I arranged to go and have coffee with my sister, and let her down at the last minute. (I was sick but that doesn't excuse the fact that I didn't actually even let her know I wasn't coming - sorry sis). And another day I was reminded by my 7 year old son that I sometimes 'say you are going to do it but you never do...'  That's hard to hear. But unfortunately it is the truth.

We need to work on being faithful servants - women that can keep a secret or a confidence, or who people turn to because they know we an be trusted if they need help or advice. We should want to become women who get the reputation of 'what is said to them, stays with them' rather than busybodies who gossip, even in the guise of Christian 'prayers'. We should be able to be counted on when we say we are going to do something or be somewhere. 

We should be shining examples of the love that the body of Christ has for each other - and being faithful and trust-worthy is such a big part of that. Let's make sure that if someone tells us something or confides in us at a time of weakness, that they never have any cause to regret coming to us in the first place. Or if they place their faith in us to do something, that they can rest easy knowing it's taken care of. It is in these little things that people will see how different we are, how much we show love, and it is then we can point them to Jesus. 

How do your answers to the questions above make you feel?
Keep shining xx 










No comments:

Post a Comment