Sunday, 28 June 2015

Movies, books and dreams...

Tonight I watched a wonderful film - 'Shaun the Sheep - the Movie'. Yes I know you'll probably all have a laugh at that, but it helped hit home something I've been thinking about all day. Let me explain!!
 
Without giving too much of the film away, its based around the sheep trying to have a 'day off' from their usual daily activities. Their life has become dull and mundane, and they have happy memories of what life used to be like, before responsibilities and 'grown up' duties made every day seem to be in the same endless cycle. As you can guess it doesn't exactly go to plan, and I laughed my head off at their antics!! Today I am VERY easily amused!!
 
But it got me thinking about my life, about balancing all the different areas of my life at the moment and about a wonderful book I'm reading at the moment.
 
I am a wife, mum of 4 boys, friend, daughter, sister, classroom assistant, missionary, church member, Bible Class leader, housekeeper, student... as well as many more roles... and I struggle to balance it all and to thrive in everything I do. At the moment, as we head into the summer months, I want to find the balance of work, home, love, responsibility... I want to find excitement and distraction in the mundane housework and laundry... and I want it all to glorify God.
 
And that brings me to the book I've been reading this week. Its the newest book by Sarah Mae (author of 'Desperate', 'Frumps to Pumps', 'Core Lies' and '31 Days to Clean') and it is truly brilliant. Its called 'Longing for Paris'. She manages to cut deep into my inner thoughts, and it could be my life she's writing about. Its a must read, and I can't wait to have a give away when it comes out in August!!
 
 
 
Her website has this to say...
For anyone who has ever daydreamed of another life . . .
Most days, you wouldn’t trade what you have for the world. You love your husband and your kids, and you are grateful to God for your life. But there are days when you feel as though life is rolling over you in waves and you are just going through the motions. You find yourself aching for something more, something that is calling to depths of who you are, maybe for something you can’t even name.
For Sarah Mae, it was Paris, a place that is known for breathtaking beauty, inspiring art, and exquisite food. But as she searched her heart, she found there was more to her longings than she anticipated. Join Sarah Mae in Longing for Paris, a soul-searching, light-filled journey for the woman who knows she can’t uproot her life to discover herself and her longings, but who desperately wants to uncover them so she can get unstuck and choose a life that is filled with beauty, adventure, and deep joy . . . right where she is.

I will be writing my proper review shortly, but this book is one that has truly impacted my life and helped me to realise that I need to have my adventures and truly live in each moment that God has given me - no matter where I am.

So this week I will be looking at how to do that... in all the different areas of my life. I will be continuing to look at the reasons I blog next week, but as we move into the last week of school I want to be prepared for a summer of fun, balance and life rather than 8 weeks of fighting off boredom, struggling to get the necessary chores done and achieving nothing.

I hope you'll enjoy this, and if you can, pre-order the book here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment