Tuesday, 29 December 2015

A new year...

I love the thought of the new year - 366 days (yep it's a leap year!!) brimming with opportunities, like a blank page or book, just waiting to be written on. 

And each year I make lots of resolutions. And each year I fail miserably!! 

But 2016 is an exciting year for me. You see 2016 is the year I turn 40... And I think I may be having a mid-life crisis!! I want to make a to-do list which includes travelling, jumping out of aeroplanes and changing my life drastically... BUT realistically I'm a wife, mother of four, employee, and I have responsibilities that keep me from being the silly wee girl I feel like being. 

Why is it the thought of being middle aged terrifies us so much? Why do we need to make ourselves feel younger, more alive or different? 

I know for most of us life doesn't look like we imagined it would when we thought about being 40 - if we ever did because let's face it 40 sounded really old!! Maybe it's better. Maybe it's not. Maybe you are living your dream life with everything you ever wanted. Maybe you aren't. 

I'm not exactly sure why I am questioning my life because it's been pretty terrific up to now. I've been blessed with two wonderful families (my folks and my in-laws), a wonderful husband, four wonderful kids, wonderful friends and a wonderful job which let me stay at home with my boys, while telling people about God. Not much to complain about. 

And yet I find myself wondering. I wonder if I'm in the centre of God's will. I wonder if I'm doing right by my kids or if I'm giving them enough fodder for hours of therapy later in life. I wonder if I'll ever get a chance to live out the dreams I have. I wonder if I'll ever get to travel. Or to teach. Or to finally catch up on my laundry. 

So this year instead of giant and unrealistic to-do lists or resolutions, I'm going to take an area of my life each month and explore it. I'll keep you informed with this year's journey as I try to balance my 40 year old self with the person I hoped I'd be by now. 




January will be focusing on deeper Christiam living - on getting my relationship right with God so that I have the rest of my year - whatever that may bring - firmly on His foundation. 

I'm so excited!! I hope whatever God brings into your 2016 will be a blessing and a challenge to bring out a better you too. 

Keep shining xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment