Monday, 25 January 2016

Getting into the Word

I love starting a new study. It's like getting a new diary or a new notebook - full of lovely blank pages to write in! When you get a new study to do, you know it's going to be a learning curve, you know God's going to teach you something amazing and you just plain get excited to start!! 

Well this morning was my first morning of the new Love God Greatly study on prayer. I know I'm a bit late, but I'm so excited to get going. Prayer fits in so well with this month, and it's an area of my life that I really need to work on. 

So how do I do my LGG study? Personally, I use a diary rather than a notebook - mainly so that I can keep track of the days better and because I always get a couple of diaries for Christmas!!! So I download the programme / reading plan onto my phone, grab my diary and I'm ready to go! 

The first thing is to always bring your time to God before you read anything. After all you want Him to speak to you - it's not just something to tick off on your to-do list! What we're aiming for is a personal encounter with God - our Heavenly Father - where He talks to us and we talk to Him. So prayer is vital. 

Some of the words I love are found in Psalm 119:18-19

Open my eyes that I may see 
wonderful things in your law. 
I am a stranger on earth; 
do not hide your commands from me.”


The study method they use in LGG is SOAP - which stands for Scripture, Observations, Applications, Prayer - but the one I use is WORD. As you can see it's very similar, but because prayer is part of my new morning routine, and I always spend time in prayer with my quiet time, I prefer to have an action point at the end, so that I can focus on how to use what God is teaching me. 

So the W is very straight forward - WRITE OUT THE SCRIPTURE. This is something I was taught as a GMG / LGG girl and it really does make such a difference. When you write Scripture out, you remember it, you think about it more and it makes more of an impact. Trust me - try it the next time you read your Bible!! 

Then we have O - for OBSERVATIONS - and R - for REFLECTIONS - and for these sections I have some questions stuck at the front of my diary...


These just help me to think about what's really going on and what God is trying to say to me. It's brilliant when you can actually get into the Word by yourself - because God will always be there to guide and help you. 

And then finally we gave D - for DO SOMETHING! This is where I write down an action point, or something practical that I can the away from my reading. 



So that's it! And then - of course - I'd spend some time in prayer - thanking God for all He has done, worshipping Him, asking Him to help me live my life for Him and just generally chatting to Him - I am the daughter of the King after all! 

So that's my morning challenge and I'm loving spending those first moments of my day with God. It really does make all the difference. How are you getting on? 

Keep shining xx 


No comments:

Post a Comment