Monday, 2 May 2016

Psalm 119


This term I am spending some time reading Psalm 199, working my way the LOVE GOD GREATLY study for the Psalm. So I thought since it is a wonderful Psalm with some major challenges in it, I'd share some of the things I'm getting out of my daily coffees with God. 

This week I'm going to highlight 3 different passages that have really touched me and made me reevaluate my relationship with God, looking at where it is and where it should be.


"Joyful are people of integrity, who follow the instructions of the LORD. 
Joyful are those who obey his laws and search for him with all their hearts.”
Psalms 119:1-2

Wow - right in at the deep end!!! Does my life reflect His commands and His glory? I would definitely have to say no. I sin way too much each and every day, and my attitudes (esp laziness, selfishness and pride) are not at all God-glorifying. I am so in need of this reminder. I long to live a life of integrity and know that I reflect Him but there is so much in my life right now that doesn't. I am truly praying that I'll really see God work and transform me over this study - I need it! 


“I have rejoiced in your laws as much as in riches. 
I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways.”
Psalms 119:14-15

I need to spend time with our Father to really understand what He wants of me and how I'm supposed to live my life. He has laws for a reason - not only to help me live right, make the right decisions to be the best version of me, but also so I can see exactly how amazing the gift of His Son is. His Word should impact everything I do - and I definitely need to work on that! I want to be able to rejoice, to be glad when I'm found wanting in some areas, because I know that that is when God can come in and work His power in my life. If I ignore it then I'll never ask for His help and too easily fall into thinking I can do it all on my own. 


“Keep me from lying to myself; 
give me the privilege of knowing your instructions.”
Psalms 119:29  

This verse really struck me. I am forever lying to myself about my failures or issues. For instance, I eat something I don't need, but tell myself I needed it... Or I don't exercise and tell myself there was a very good reason... Or buy so sing online and pretend to myself that it wasn't very dear, I really need it and I have the money so why shouldn't I get it... 

Even though I know that I eat too much and too emotionally, I need to exercise or I will end up not being able to even move, and that the money would be much better spent elsewhere. 

And because of this I self-sabotage anything good I try to do. This is a continual cycle of behaviour that has to change. Not only is it destructive to me, but it also impacts everyone around me. 

I need to get back to the Word, to stop kidding myself and learn from the source what I should be doing. God is the only one who can help me so I need desperately to give it to Him.  




And so it continues... This Psalm is amazing and I'm so pleased to get another chance to study it. What are you studying right now and what is God teaching you? 

Keep shining xx 



No comments:

Post a Comment